Gateway Assets: A Priority in Digital Estate Planning
August 14, 2023
In today’s digital age, estate planning has expanded beyond physical possessions to include our online presence and digital assets. With a multitude of digital accounts, devices, and files, crafting a comprehensive digital estate plan can be a time-consuming task. However, there is one critical aspect that deserves immediate attention, prioritizing your gateway assets.
In this post, we will explore why focusing on gateway assets is a priority. Also, how it plays a crucial role in safeguarding your digital legacy.
What Are Gateway Assets?
Gateway assets serve as entry points or access points to other digital assets or online accounts. They act as the key to unlocking and managing various aspects of your digital life.
Examples of gateway assets include your phone, computer, email accounts, and online storage accounts. These assets are pivotal in accessing and controlling other digital resources and are, therefore, a priority in your digital estate planning process.
Why Prioritize Gateway Assets?
- Identification and Authentication: Gateway assets play a crucial role in establishing your digital identity. They often require authentication and verification, such as two-factor authentication (2FA). By prioritizing gateway assets, you ensure that your digital executor or trusted individuals can access and manage your accounts and assets effectively.
- Access to Vital Information: Gateway assets hold valuable information that is essential for managing your digital estate. For instance, your phone may be linked to various accounts used for financial transactions or contain important contact information. Your computer might store critical documents, photos, or videos. By prioritizing gateway assets, you ensure seamless access to these valuable resources, allowing for proper management and distribution.
- Security and Protection: Gateway assets can serve as the first line of defense in securing your digital legacy. They provide control and oversight over other accounts and assets. By prioritizing gateway assets, you can implement necessary security measures, such as updating passwords, enabling encryption, or implementing secure backup strategies. This proactive approach safeguards your digital assets from unauthorized access or potential data breaches.
- Efficient Digital Asset Management: Focusing on gateway assets allows you to streamline your digital estate planning process. By identifying and organizing these assets first, you establish a foundation for managing your broader digital footprint. Once gateway assets are secured and accessible, you can effectively allocate and manage other digital assets, ensuring a comprehensive and efficient digital estate plan.
Steps to Prioritize Gateway Assets:
- Take inventory of your gateway assets: Identify and list your phone(s), computer(s), email accounts, and online storage accounts.
- Designate digital executors: Choose trusted individuals who will have access to these gateway assets and manage them on your behalf.
- Update contact information: Ensure that your contact details, especially email addresses and phone numbers, are accurate and up to date. This allows effective communication between you, your digital executor, and digital estate planning platforms.
- Document instructions and access details: Provide clear instructions on how to access and manage your gateway assets. Include login credentials, passwords, and any necessary recovery information.
- Implement security measures: Strengthen the security of your gateway assets by enabling strong passwords, two-factor authentication, and regular software updates
When it comes to digital estate planning, prioritizing your gateway assets is crucial. These assets serve as the foundation for managing and protecting your entire digital legacy. By focusing on gateway assets first, you establish a solid framework for efficient digital asset management, safeguarding your valuable information, and ensuring seamless access for your digital executor. Don’t delay in prioritizing your gateway assets—start building a robust digital estate plan today to protect your digital legacy tomorrow.
Utilizing a Digital Estate Protection service such as Noni enables you to prioritize Gateway assets effectively and efficiently making the most of your time. As a result, you’ll have peace of mind that your Digital Estate will be taken care of.
At Noni, we strive to provide assistance in navigating the complex realm of digital affairs of the Estate. Our mission is to:
- Empower consumers to plan for the disposition or transfer of their digital assets, ensuring their wishes are respected and their loved ones are supported during a difficult time.
- Help families navigate the complexities of winding up the digital affairs of a deceased loved one, providing guidance and support every step of the way.
- Assist online providers in managing the online accounts of their deceased users, helping them to honor their users’ privacy and safeguard their information.
Through our services, we aim to bring clarity, compassion, and expertise to an often-overlooked aspect of modern life, and to help our clients feel confident that their digital legacy is in good hands.